Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Reflections

When I posted the death of my grandma it was 2:00 am. I had fallen asleep at 7:00 pm and when Mike came to bed I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. I trotted downstairs to watch some TV and at 12:45 am my dad called to say my grandma had passed. Within 30 min my brother had called to talk, he was the last of my siblings to see her. My grandma was very close to all of her family and they loved her as well. The memories we have are priceless and I am grateful for them. Each and every Christmas when Mike and I continue to make her Rocky Road and Hershey Almond Balls (later found out it came from someone else, so sad) we will think of her and it will be a wonderful tradition that we will pass on to Landon.
Several years ago I bought each of my grandmas a book to have them fill out with their memories. So, I could get to know them better. There were times when Mike and I were able to sit down with Dixie and ask her the questions in the book and listen to her tell of her memories that the book helped her recall. On another occasion I took some time to do a very brief oral history with her. How wonderful it was to be able to see in to my grandma's life.
Those were special times for me.
I am not sad that she has passed as she has not been well for a while. I am joyful because of what I know of the gospel. My testimony is that I have a loving Heavenly Father and a Savior who will welcome her with open arms and she will be greeted by those that have gone before her. I know that I will have the opportunity to be with her again and at that time I will be ready to throw my arms around her and tell her "I LOVE YOU".
This will be an interesting time for me as I am leaving to go to California to her funeral but we have chosen to leave Landon home with Mike for the days I am gone. The idea of having to leave both of them behind hurts my heart. It will be best for Landon to stay in Michigan as the time change can be so hard on a child. I know Mike will take wonderful care of him and he will remember to take all of the pictures that I normally take while I am gone.

1 comment:

dust and kam said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. What special memories to share with Landon.

Have a safe trip to California. You are in my thoughts and prayers.