Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Cat Came Back

You may be familiar with the old campfire song or the weird cartoon of the same name. We had a similar experience this last week. While Fergus took about a week to get back to us, he did come back.
(Funny Canadians)

It started Sunday night when Eliza opened the screen door and Fergus shot right out into the backyard and became the subject of a parable of sorts Mike wrote a few days later when it seemed like maybe the cat would not come back.

Ever since he was a kitten, Fergus has hated being trapped indoors when he could see the amazing world outside. He resented that his owners kept him penned in when all he wanted to do was chase the birds, roll around in the dirt, and explore what lie on the other side of the neighbors’ fences. Patiently, he waited for one of his people to leave a door unattended so he could jet out into the yard. His people had taken to locking the big slider and going into the back yard by way of the garage. He especially resented seeing them dining in the back yard while he remained cooped inside, and he would push and claw at the screens, testing for some weakness in the protective cage.

He had escaped several times already when someone’s attention had lapsed just enough. Sometimes his escapes lasted for only a minute or two before one of the family trapped him or shooed him back inside, but more often lately, he had learned exactly where to run to when he got out of the house so that he could escape capture. The last few times he had escaped, he managed to spend hours exploring the yards of the surrounding neighbors. He ended up bringing some uninvited passengers that bit both him and his family once they did succeed in luring him back home when he finally got tired or hungry or wanted their company.

One fateful night, a family member opened the slider screen, and before anyone could react, he was out the door, around the side yard, and over the fence. Try as they might, his family would not stop him from making his rounds. This time, he decided to explore new territory across the street, where he had only ventured once or twice before. His family searched for him in vain, because Fergus never came back home that night. His family searched the neighborhood, contacted animal control, and prayed for his safe return, but they could not prevent Fergus from his escape efforts and experiencing whatever natural consequence came from him leaving the safe place they had given him.

And so ends the parable. Make of it what you will.

Fortunately for us, Saturday morning Landon heard Fergus meowing outside in the front yard, and the cat did come back. He seemed none the worse for wear, but he has developed a few different behaviors. He clings to Mike like white on rice and generally wants to be around us a lot more, although he still wants to get out if he can. We treated him with flea killer as part of our efforts to get rid of fleas generally in the home (more on that later) and put his collar on him. Try as we might, we know that this tale will be continued. 

While that was the big story of the week, we did have other goings-on.

Mike had frequent meetings and classes at school this week, he sent in a revised paper to be considered for publication, and he has also started a new entrepreneurial venture: Advance Tutoring Camarillo. If you know of anyone needing tutoring, pass the word along. He has over 25 years of experience (can you believe that? He’s ooolllddd!) in math, English, Spanish, college entrance exam, dissertation writing, and other academic preparation. Contact him directly at the form on his website or view his profile

Hallie has also ventured into the job market, landing one job at a local school district and another at a local retailer.

Mike attended the LA Temple on Thursday with a brother in the ward who is a shift supervisor. He invited Mike to consider working at the temple on a regular basis. We can’t make it work right now, but it’s something he would like to do in the future.

Also on Thursday, Landon had a jog-a-thon fundraiser where the kids ran laps and earned money from pledges to get funding for a part-time PE teacher. Landon even contributed $25 of his own money to the effort.

On Friday, Eliza had her closing IEP meeting/parent conference. The little chatterbox no longer needs speech and language services.

Oh, and here are some samples of this week's creativity.
Some kids build cities. Ours, marauding hordes.

And rocket-powered crocodiles.

Ha ha. Where around here are we going to find the first two sections?

While Mike taught on Friday night, Hallie took the kids to practice at church for their Primary program this Sunday.

On Saturday while Mike taught, Hallie and Liz took the kids to see Meet the Mormons at a local theater. They seemed to enjoy it.

Landon received birthday greetings from Grandma and Grandpa D.

On Sunday, the kids had their Primary program at sacrament meeting at church. Landon showed off his emerging reading skills in his part of the program. Hallie showed that she has the skills to wrangle some beautiful music out of those squirrelly little ones. Grandma and Grandpa M. and Uncle Shad, Aunt Carly and the kids showed up to lend their moral support. After church, the kids chatted with Grandma and Grandpa D. via Skype. Thank goodness for how technology closes the miles! 

1 comment:

Kim said...

Yay Eliza!