Sunday, February 09, 2014

Sick Kids, an Interview, More Snow, and a Birthday

Mike traveled to California this week taking some of our Michigan snow with him. Of course, it melted in the heat and turned into much-needed rain. You’re welcome. We expect more snow tomorrow, so he must have brought it back. Sorry! 

Monday, February 3 – Getting to and from school proved to be quite challenging due to ice-covered sidewalks. The slick conditions continued throughout the day. While Mike (mostly) succeeded in removing the ice from in front of our house during the brief period this afternoon when the temps rose to above freezing, most people’s sidewalks remained covered in the slippery mess.

Eliza showed off some new artwork, . . . 

and Fergus has learned about stalking people by hiding in narrow spaces. 

Tuesday, February 4 – Hallie babysat a little boy today. The poor little guy was sick with a cough. She took him with her to Eliza’s Pipsqueak PE class.

Wednesday, February 5 – Mike traveled out to California for a job interview at California Lutheran University. He got delayed in Detroit because of a snow delay in Chicago, so he missed his connection but got on the next available flight. It only cost him three hours, and he was able to take advantage of the time in the airport to complete his preparations. His folks picked him up at the airport, and he finally met our niece Mariah for the first time. 
Hi, cutie!

They went to his parents’ house, which is about 20 minutes from the university. He spent some time visiting with family before going to a hotel in town to spend the night and continue preparing for the interview.

Not to say the only snow was in Chicago, because Detroit got hit hard in the morning. The only reason Mike didn't miss his flight was because of the Chicago delay. It took us nearly twice as long as it usually does to get to the airport because of snow, and Mike got to the plane as the delay was being announced. 

Hallie told Mike that the drifts had piled up enough to completely cover the stairs at home. Good thing Landon was there to lend a hand with a shovel. 

Hallie had a surgical consultation and a medical consultation. Normally, she would have taken the kids to Kaufman, but with her meetings, she was able to have Vanessa look after both Eliza and Landon. We figured they would only be out for one day, but other forces ended up combining to stop them from attending for the rest of the week.  

Thursday, February 6 – Mike woke up bright and early on Thursday with his body clock still on Eastern time. He did some work and finished his preparations before being picked up by Breanne (the department secretary) and going through a series of interviews with the university provost and president along with the college dean before having a group interview with the department. He then gave a presentation synthesizing his research before going to lunch with the chairs of two of the departments. Afterwards, he talked with a faculty member of the university's promotion and tenure committee before having a break. The weather had moved from cloudy to rainy, so Mike could not wander around campus as he had planned. The break did give him a chance to debrief with Hallie. To end the interview, Mike gave a brief lesson to graduate students in the college. Overall, he felt the interview went positively, and he would enjoy working there.

After the interview, Breanne took Mike over to Hallie’s parents’ house, which is just down the road from CLU. They had dinner together and bore with Mike as he decompressed from the long day. He ended the day back at his folks’ house. In all, Mike really enjoyed having the chance to reconnect with family members.

At home, Eliza got sick in the middle of the night. Blech. Landon woke up hot and not feeling well himself, so Hallie kept both kids at home. While Eliza didn't get sick anymore, Landon started in later in the day. Sick kids coupled with cold and snow meant no one left the house today. They did, however, do stuff around the house. While cleaning his room, Landon successfully memorized the second Article of Faith. 

Friday, February 7 – All too soon, it was time for Mike to go back to Detroit. He thought he had a direct flight on Southwest, but he had to change planes in Phoenix. As a result, he managed to be the first on board his flight, which meant he got his pick of seats. Coincidentally, he had happened to read a website a few days before that identified for business travelers which was the best seat, so he made a beeline to the one seat on the plane that had no row in front of it. The posh seat plus free WiFi meant he had a very comfortable flight. Odds are that this opportunity will not come again, so he relished it for all it was worth.


Suburban Detroit

Hallie kept the kids at home again until she took them to Activity Days at church. Eliza dressed for summer but sat in front of the portable fireplace heater. 

When Mike called to let her know his plane had landed, she and the kids went to the airport to pick him up. Happy reunion!

Saturday, February 8 – After Landon’s gymnastics class, we went out to the Somerset Collection to make Valentine’s Day-themed frosted sugar cookies. 

Pretty in Pink outside the MAC cosmetics store

Of course, we had to stop by the LEGO Store.
Window decals in LEGO. Too cool!

Afterwards, we went to Red Robin for birthday lunch.

Sunday, February 9 – More snow fell overnight, and more is expected tomorrow. Enough, already! At least until the giant piles have a chance to melt or evaporate. Landon successfully recited his article of faith in Primary. We celebrated Eliza’s birthday with cake and ice cream and presents after church. 

No comments: