Sunday, March 05, 2006

Our adoption story so far

In December we decided to adopt, and since then we have had a couple of interviews with our social worker, attended a couple of classes to earn our required education hours, created a collage of ourselves to share with potential birth parents, and bought a couple of items for our baby's nursery. We still have a ways to go before we can bring a child into our home. We will have to have three home visits from the adoption agency, and we still have several more education hours before we become certified (although those who know us already know we are certifiable--certifiably nuts). We will also need to create an Internet profile to share more pics with potential birth parents. In all, it is kind of a hurry-up-and-wait game. But we are excited. This has been a really positive experience as we have had the chance to think about what we mean to each other and as we contemplate bringing a new member into our family. Not to be sappy, but we feel as though the experience has brought us closer. We have gone through the expected range of emotions (I guess) as we have made the choice to expand our family through adoption, I think that once we committed to the choice, opportunities and stories opened up that have reinforced that choice. At this point, we are anxious to complete the qualifying process and have our baby!

2 comments:

Toby said...

Maybe this adoption web page requirement will prompt you to update your blog more often. If you need a reference, let me know. I don't know Hallie, but I've always considered the Owens family to be the most wholesome and least dysfunctional family I know.

Jaime said...

I am so happy for you guys. Congrats! I wish you both the best. I miss you guys. Hopefully I will get to come for a visit soon. Take care.
Jaime