Sunday, June 23, 2013

Summertime Superheroes

We started the week on Monday with some hijinks at home to keep the kids occupied while first Mom then Dad worked. 

Sis. Beaty received a transfer notification, so in the evening Hallie took her and Sis. Decker to Sander’s in the Village for cream puff sundaes. We’ll miss you, and we wish you all the best in your new area. We are so glad that Katelyn was willing to play with the crazy kids so Hallie could go.

Earlier in the day, Eliza gave us all a scare when she ran across the street. Now she is timid near the street. Eliza was scared when she fell. Hallie was scared because of every thought that runs through a mother’s mind when something like this happens.
Hallie took an extra shift on Tuesday morning, so Mike took the kids first to the Y while he worked out and next to Storytime at the Woods Library. The library system has started off a summer reading program, and we got started right with a few read-aloud stories and songs.

Eliza decided to use the dry erase marker that comes with her chore chart to draw some temporary tattoos all over her body when she decided not to take a nap. Yes, it was put up in her closet, and yes, our tornado figured out how to get it down.

Hallie took Landon to get a haircut at the new Great Clips in the Village. We opted for the summer Mohawk. Look how great $5.99 looks!!!!!

Fergus seems to be settling in nicely. He and the kids get along very well. It was so endearing this week when Hallie was holding Fergus and both kids could not give Fergus enough kisses. Fergus sleeps we think in his bed on top of Landon’s bed or at least near Landon at night. Fergus thus far has been a great addition. Many times you will see Fergus curled up between Mike’s leg and the arm of the couch. So cute!

The roses are out, and the raspberry buds are shaping into tiny fruit. Mike’s hoping for a bumper crop in July. So are the birds (Dang birds. Maybe we’ll have to teach Fergus about them).  

We met Sister Decker’s new companion, Sister Kinikini, on Wednesday. She is Tongan from West Valley, Utah. Sister Kinikini is a new missionary and wants to do her best.  Looking forward to more fun!

After a week and a half, Fergus discovered that the things the kids have been trying to get him to play with are toys. Now we have both content kiddies and a content kitty.
His look says, "If you were food, you'd be in my belly!"

After our Thursday morning workout, we took the kids to their gymnastics classes. Eliza’s is in a parent-tot class, so Mike got to chase her around the gym. She loves to climb and roll and bounce but doesn’t seem too interested in what the teacher has to say. That’s what Dad’s for! Hallie was a spectator with her friend Jen whose seven-year-old daughter does quite well. They spend close to 12 hours a week at the gym.

We all went to Greenfield Village later in the day with Bianca. She looked after the kids while Mike took Hallie to have afternoon tea at Cotswold Cottage before going to see Man of Steel. We ended up not getting to have the tea experience (rain check) because, although we spent a long time in line, we realized we’d miss the movie if we stayed, and we had already bought the movie tickets. We don’t know whether this was an unusually busy day, but that was a disappointment. We enjoyed the movie, and the kids enjoyed an afternoon free to ride the carousel and other rides at the village with Bianca.

After a crazy start to our Friday morning, we finally got out the door to go up to Westview Orchards with the Moms Club for strawberry picking and other frolics outside. Landon was a great strawberry picker and he seemed to really enjoy it and picked some amazing strawberries.

Mike took one of the new elders, who are a trio for this transfer, on visits to a couple of member families in the branch in the afternoon.

In the evening, Hallie took Landon to the Detroit Tigers game. The Tigers lost but Hallie enjoyed seeing Miguel Cabrerra hit a three-run home run. Landon went more for the fireworks and cotton candy than anything else. His patience finally paid off. He and Mom didn’t get home until close to midnight. None of us are sure how Hallie held out the whole day being she had been up since 3:15.

Hallie worked Saturday morning while Mike took the kids to Lowe’s for the second Monster’s University-themed project of the month, a storage chest, or treasure chest as Landon put it.

Once Mom got home, we drove up to meet Dee, Jim, and Elizabeth at the Meadow Brook Music Festival for the Recess! Family Music Festival with The Laurie Berkner BandDan Zanes & Friends, Ralph's World, Candy Band, The Verve Pipe, and the School of Rock. Shortly before we left, Tricia (another mom from the club) came over to drop off shoes that Hallie had bought for Eliza (Such a deal!). Eliza wore her first pair to the concert. Someone mentioned she looked like she was out of a fashion magazine. As for the concert itself, we did not see all the acts, and at times the kids seemed less interested than the grown-ups, but everyone had fun in their own way.

Scaling Everest after rolling down again and again. Good thing he wore long pants! 

After we got home, Hallie kept the party going by attending a going-away bash for a friend from the Moms Club and Landon’s preschool moms who is moving away. Get a few "Stephabulous" signature drinks (or glasses of grapefruit Perrier in Hallie’s case) and some karaoke going, and let the good times roll! Plus you never miss a party at the Jakubowski bar. Hallie sampled some AMAZING food, and she even ate a skewer of marinated shrimp.  
For church Eliza wore a second pair of shoes from Tricia. It had a heel, and she wore them too well. 

By the time church ended, everyone was feeling a bit burned out. We tried to keep things more low key and indoors. Hallie had left church a bit early today for a two hour nap (which does not usually happen), but after this week her body has told her to take a break. After church, the rest of us attended a baptism for one of the children in the branch. Later in the afternoon, we had a visit from our home teacher and spent a bit coloring super hero capes. Tomorrow will be a good day to put them to use! 

No comments: